I have been working on the ethical issue of advanced medical technology, applying in the field of stem cell research. The field of stem cell research, including iPS cell research, has the potential to play an important role in examining ethical, social and legal issues that are associated with advanced medical technologies. In the future, I would like to explore various ethical issues in the field that can contribute to various advanced medical developments while maintaining awareness of broader perspectives.
1990 Nurse in the Internal Medicine Unit, Mitsui Memorial Hospital, Tokyo.
2006 B.A. Philosophy, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
2008 LL.M. Medical Law and Ethics, University of Kent, Canterbury, United Kingdom
2009 Study Manager, Richmond Pharmacology Ltd. Surrey, United Kingdom
2011 Project Assistant Professor, Center for Clinical Research,
School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo
2013 Project Research Fellow, Department of Public Policy,
The Institution of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo.
2019 Research Fellow, Uehiro Research Division for iPS Cell Ethics,
Center for iPS Cell Research and Application, Kyoto University, Kyoto.
- Takashima, K., Morrison, M., and Minari, J. Reflection on the enactment and impact of safety laws for regenerative medicine in Japan. Stem Cell Reports. 2021; 16 (6). 1425-1434. DOI: 10.1016/j.stemcr.2021.04.017.
- Minari, J., Yokono, M., Takashima, K., Kokado, M., Ida, R., and Hishiyama, Y., Looking back: three key lessons from 20 years of shaping Japanese genome research regulations. Journal of Human Genetics, 2021. DOI: 10.1038/s10038-021-00923-z. (English)
For details, please visit Stem Cell Reports website
- Chan, S., Cunningham-Burley, S., De Togni, G., Erikainen, S., Sethi, N., and Takashima, K. Beyond binaries: dissolving the empirical/normative divide. AJOB empirical bioethics. 2020;11(1):17-9. DOI: 10.1080/23294515.2020.1722290.
- Takashima, K., Inoue, Y., Tashiro, S., and Muto, K., Letter in reply to: ‘therapeutic misconception and the role of the Research Ethics Committee.’ Perinatal Medicine. 2019; 14(8). DOI: https://doi.org/10.2217/rme-2019-0041. (English)
- Takashima, K. and Muto, K., Ethical Challenges on regenerative medicine clinical research for children. Perinatal Medicine. 2018; 48(7): 783-787. (Japanese)
- Takashima, K. and Muto, K., Ethics surrounding regenerative medicine. Clinical Neuroscience 2018; 36(3): 373-376. (Japanese)
- Takashima, K., Inoue, Yusuke., Tashiro, S., and Muto, K., Lessons for reviewing clinical trials using induced pluripotent stem cells: examining the case of a first-in-human trial for age-related macular degeneration. Regenerative Medicine. 2018; 13(2): 123-128. (English)
- Takashima, K. and Muto, K., ‘Research ethics committees in Japan: Time for change, considered with the 2014 report of the advisor group on the clinical research’, Japan Pharmacological Therapeutics 2015;43(s1): s22-6. (Japanese)
- Okamoto, Y., Takahashi, H., and Takashima, K., et al., ‘The quality of life for patients with hepatitis C who developed hepatocellular carcinoma’, The Japan Society of Nursing, 2003; 34: 252-254. (Japanese)
- Takashima, K. ‘Clinical research and ethics’ in E. Shimoda K, et al.(ed), Clinical Research Coordinator Textbook 4th edition. The Japanese Society of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2021:11-12. (in Japanese)
- Takashima, K., ‘Lecture eight on the ethics of stem cell research’, in. Kamisato, A. and Muto, K. (ed), Handbook of Research Ethics on Medical & Life Science Research, University of Tokyo Press, 2015. 101-111. (Japanese)
- Yoshida, M., Muto, K., Takashima, K., et al., ‘Overcoming the issues with the introduction of the ethics review consignment/entrustment management system’, Report by the research group on the operation of the Good Clinical Practice (GCP) to contribute to the activation of clinical trials on the project of Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare, 2016. (Japanese)
- Inoue, Y., Takashima, K., Muto, K., et al., ‘Standard operation procedure of the U.K. research ethics committees’, Report on the Ministry of Education by the research group on the U.K. Research Ethics Committee, 2015. (Japanese)
- Takashima, K., ‘Issues with the returning results of regenerative medicine research; Returning results of infectious diseases’, Record of a meeting with Dr Ellen Clayton, 2014. (Japanese)
- Wakatsuki, Y., Takashima, K., et al., ‘Decision-making on medical practices for the elderly patient and the terminal patient, and evaluation and improvement of the quality of clinical practices. Observational studies on the quality evaluation of the end-of-life decision-making process’, Report on the project of Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 2007.104-112. (Japanese)